Finally decided to start painting one of the Forge World turreted Vanquishers that I got last year. Using this one as a testbed for some new techniques and thus a whole new sequence of steps in painting my armor.
The steps I go through will be
-Decals & Scripting
-Pick out details
The steps that are added with this tank are the color modulation, filter, washes, and streaking. The modulation was made possible by my new Badger Anthem aribrush which I mentioned in my last post. The latter are all made possible my AK Interactive's weathering line which I found at a local hobby store, Section 8 Hobbies. They are all spirit based and thus allow plenty of time for clean up and add the ability to apply and then dilute and streak with the solvent while on the model. I got this hull painted and stripped it as best I could, but it's still come out kinda rough with a few details with too much old paint. The washes have allowed me to bring the lines out much better than if I had not started doing all this extra work.
As of right now I am on the streaking grime step, which is completed on the turret and the hull I will get to tomorrow. Really glad I found these products, they really make the vehicles come out so much better with just a bit more effort than I already put into it. Another new technique I used was doing the chipping with a sponge. Overall, I think that technique worked out great on my Dust walker, but not as well on this. I think it's better suited to light colored armor. For future IG tanks I will use it, but as a secondary effect to my brushed on chips and scratches.
Of course, it's not complete without an addition from the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.
I think my next project is going to be the repainting of my Baneblade, Zeal. I was really happy when I first painted it, but as I have progressed so far it's time for an update. Expect a finished summary of this tank this week.