And so the adventure continues!
First up this week I added the sides to the table. This consists of 3 1/2 inch pine board, screwed into the plywood, which will form the border of the table and a lip to keep stuff (dice & models) from sliding off of the table. It also added a lot of rigidity to the edges of the board.
Next up, for further support we added trusses to each end of the table where the most overhang was. It took away whatever slack that remained. We also filled all the countersunk screw holes with some elmers wood filler in preparation for staining next week.
Next, it was time to install the foam-board. Turns out the people who make this have completely forgone all reason and sized the boards to 2ft and 1/8in. Leaving us with an extra 1/4in of foam when we tried to place it in the table. Absolute madness. I cut out the slot for the river on the near half of the board, you can see it's in 2 separate pieces there, and we set to work gluing it all down.
For extra heresy repulsion the table will have this permanent Aquila beneath it, which will hopefully help with my dice rolls. [Probably not]
Now, we wait. The glue had to dry some before we [I, mostly] did anything else. So we put some useless books to use weighing it all down. While the rest of those people were talking and slacking off I began to draw up a more formal plan for the table going onward, which I left at Kevin's house, so no pic.
However, you can't just work without having any fun, and so the paraLOLogram was born from the cut out river section. Andy here is a very skittish lad and is using it for protection.
Once the glue set a bit I set to work adding some light texture to the board using some air drying clay. It's very subtle and isn't noticeable yet, but I will hope it will break up the flatness of the board once it is finished. I also installed the arches where the water will go underground, you can sorta make them out if you zoom in. Smeared the clay over the whole board in hopes it will be a better surface for the flocking to stick to once it comes to doing that. Did the same to some hill/dunes we made a while back. Was a dirty job, as you can see from my hand.
That's it for this week, come back again next week for another table update.