First up the clay lifted a bit due to shrinkage, I had not really run into this problem using this clay on smaller areas and I bought it since it said minimum shrinkage. However, most of the areas I put it lifted and separated completely from the foam. Nothing a little bit of Elmer's glue could not fix though.
So, after those were all glued down I got to work mixing up some sand and various sizes of ballast to make the flocking mix. Also mixed a couple of bottles of Elmer's with some water to glue it down with.
Then it was time to paint on the glue and pour the sand mix in as well. It's important that you tape off the sides before you start this because any wetness on the sides would have kept the tape from sticking and would interfere with staining later on.
Whenever I do flocking I tend to really pour the stuff on, it's better to have too much than too little. The added weight helps keep it in place while the glue sets and helps more flock actually get worked into that glue.
This leaves us with a table that looks like a sandbox. For this night we only flocked up to the edge of the urban portion in preparation for the roads.
Speaking of roads, some 1/8 inch foam tape is used to form the borders for the next step. I had a layout figured out and measured and marked all of the road edges.
Next it was time to pour the roads. For this I use water putty since it dries faster and stronger than plaster of Paris. It weighs about the same and is also a little easier to work with in cases where there is sculpting involved.
I used a tape knife to level and smooth out the putty to fill the designated areas, in this case plaster may have been easier to work with. This is where we left off for Sunday as the hour was late and we ran out of putty before I was done with the roads.
Thursday began with cleaning out a shop vac and then vacuuming up the excess sand mixture from the previously flocked side of the board.
It took far too long for my liking and was far too loud, but still faster and more effective than sweeping.
After that I finished pouring the roads and we waited for them to dry up a bit. Once that was done it was time for some battle damage. So the Stukas were called in for a bombing run.
This is where the road vanishes and the wastes begin and so the end of the road has got to be a bit rough. The hammer ended up being a mistake as it caused so much vibration that this section of road lifted from the foam. Again, lesson learned, again Elmer's fixed it.
The end of the derelict road.
I made an assortment of sizes for the road damages, some autocannon some strafing runs etc.
Then we flocked the rest of it. I also added some debris around the craters on the roads.
Next, I painted up the far end of the board. I used spray paint and it went very quickly, I also painted some of the terrain I made awhile back and flocked along with the board.
The urban part of the city got a black base coat and some gray variations. The road is going to be gray, so that got a pretty solid coat of gray. This picture makes it look as if there is more urban than dirt, but this is not true, it's pretty close to 50/50.
Next week I will begin dry brushing the flock and cleaning up the edges of the overspray. I'll also be adding details like road stripes and the like. Got a lot done but there is still plenty left to do!