Another two weeks gone by and another post. Over the past few game nights I have been working on renovating the river on our gaming table. Over the years it's been getting a bit rough, the resin did not dry correctly last time and some paper got stuck to it. After that I used some water based water effects to cover it and it was just an ugly brown sludge. It's always been my least favorite part of the board, not the idea of having it, but the execution. There's a shot of the original below.
I neglected to take any process shots of this, but the first thing I did was lay down a riverbed out of plaster. Into that I pressed some different sized stones and some debris. After that I textured it up a bit and added some paint. I sprayed a clearcoat after I was done and let it dry for a good 2 weeks so it would not interact with the resin. I wanted to be sure as sure this time.
I added a bit of debris, some wood, jerry can, spring, barrel, and some discoloration around the outlets.
I still have to add some effects and ripples to the top around all of the obstructions. I am also going to have water running out of the outlets coming from the city side of the board. Stay tuned, when it's all done I will make another post.