Okay, so we've had these ruins for quite some time, so they are not technically "new" but they will seem like new when I get through with them! Step one is basing them all. I think we have a total of 12 plastic buildings. So this will be no small feat. So we collected most of them here for viewing.
Next we had to cut up the hardboard which was purchased with the rest of the table supplies a while back. My brother did not come with us today so I was forced to have Andy and Kevin help me maneuver the sheet over the table saw. As a result, some of the edges are not the straightest possible though they will do fine for terrain. Kevin also had a knack of pushing the material into the blade and pinching it, of course he would not admit to it. The problem mysteriously vanished when Andy held the outside edge. Hmm...
Once I had the strips of a couple widths cut I could manage most of the further cutting on my own and measured and cut out the pieces for each building.
The next step was to take the buildings off of their old cardboard bases, clean them up a bit, make any repairs, add any extra details, or anything else that needed to be done. So in letting Andy use my hobby knife he decided to use it to block a smack for some wise talk. Absent mindedness is not a good thing when handling sharp objects. There's a reason I used all the power tools. So, I get a nice 1 in wide gash in my wrist.
After I tended to my wound I finished what I could on our chapel. It needs a roof still, and the second layer shall be removable so that the interior can be accessed. I will probably also make some pews and an altar and such for it.
The buildings got glued down to their new hardboard bases and that was pretty much all the work there was to do. Of course we had the Stanley Cup game playing on the laptop, if you could call it a game...
So, we finished up with a game of Dust: Warfare. 150 pts Andy vs. I, Axis Vs. Axis. We played corner deployment, secured area, and the one where you get to the enemy deployment. In the end it was a draw. We each killed one enemy unit of Battle Grenadiers with neither of us making the enemy's deployment with any units. Mostly due to the lines of minefields we laid everywhere. It was still fun, the fortifications were an interesting addition, and we caught a mistake or so more in how we have been playing.
Next time we're there I will be cleaning all of the buildings, as they are rather dusty. I will also try to do most, if not all of the groundwork and flocking. If I have time I will add any extra details and to the base coats of spraypaint. We'll see. I think painting all this terrain is going to take even more time than building the table. I still have other terrain to finish, like the sentinel piece and a ruined land raider. Some of the older pieces need a retouching as well and we still need more scatter terrain and barricades. A lot of work to finish, so stay tuned!